Tempest Executive are seeking to recruit to an exciting opportunity for an organisation currently in phase 1 of their Children’s Services re-design. They have established a new best practice role of Designated Social Care Officer for children across social care who have Specific Educational Needs or Disabilities and are looking to recruit on an interim basis whilst we undertake permanent recruitment over the summer. With responsibility for the Children with Additional Needs Team and key linkages with our valued health and education partners you will be part of the Senior Leadership Team in Education with strong links to Children’s Social Care.
The role will report to the Director of Education Standards, Quality and Performance
Overview of role
- The Designated Social Care Officer (DSCO) will support children’s social care compliance with the legislation and spirit of the Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) Code of Practice leading to improved outcomes for children and young people with SEND.
- The post holder will ensure that the outcomes for disabled children and young people, and those with Special Educational Needs, are maximised by working to improve; quality of life, school attendance, social care needs, personal autonomy and involvement in further education and employment, independent living and community inclusion.
- You will also need to have effective leadership and negotiation skills, and used to working collaboratively with Directors and managers to drive organisational developments and changes.
- The DSCO will support colleagues in adult and children’s social care to ensure they meet their statutory duties for children and young people with SEND aged 0-25. The post-holder will report to Director Education Standards, Quality and Performance
- This is a strategic role, accountable for developing strategies, action plans and processes which support and enable the SEND reforms agenda to become embedded within education and social care operations and practice.
- The role will directly inform and influence the direction of wider SEND services through intelligence and insight. Contributing to and influencing SEND organisational design, and assisting in the development of 0-25 Children & Young People with Disabilities Service and its policies.
- The DSCO will have in-depth knowledge, and understanding of both social care operations and the SEND reforms agenda and will identify areas where social care is weak or non-compliant with the SEND Code of Practice – generating solutions and implementing strategies and plans to address this – aligning these to social care’s operational and business plans and statutory obligations.
- The DSCO will be the responsible Head of Service for the Children with Additional Needs Social Work Team
- Key to success will be the ability of the DCSO to negotiate with and influence others, build and nurture effective partnerships, working collaboratively with a wide range of stakeholders across Education and CSC and exploiting opportunities for co-production
- The role will act as the regional interface, representing the LA education and social care delivery at key regional and national events, and will be a source of expert professional advice on SEND reforms relating to social care
- You will actively drive practice improvement with a focus on providing better outcomes for children, young people and their families.
For a further discussion or to discuss similar roles please contact Charlotte Newton firstname.lastname@example.org
Tempest Executive’s consultants are Local Government specialists in their sectors with more than 50 years combined experience. Our extensive network and understanding of our clients’ and candidates’ needs, means that we consistently place the best candidates in hard-to-fill roles within short time frames. We provide value for money and a first class aftercare service. To find out more about what we can offer, contact us now.
Designated Social Care Officer SEND/CWD (Trafford, North West) has been filled. If you are interested in similar roles please click the apply below and we will be in touch soon.